WHAT WE DO
The Diversity Outreach Department has been working hard throughout the year to advocate for underrepresented students on campus. A few of our efforts so far include:
- Leading planning and running of Respect the Pack 2017, an annual event celebrating diversity, inclusion, and expression on campus.
- Working with the Communications team to develop the State Against Hate Video and Petition drive.
- Creating and Coordinating and week-long Defend DACA phone banking effort.
- And many more!We’re also currently working on a variety of projects around campus. A few of our current projects include: Support for a Trans-Inclusive Syllabi Clause on as many syllabi as possible around the university.
- Advocating for Pride and Women of Color Living and Learning Villages on campus.
- Working with the University Affairs Department to plan an Accessibility Town Hall.
- And many more!
If you have an idea for a project or initiative we could be working on, please send us an email at “email@example.com“!
Meet the Director
J Hallen (She/Her Pronouns) is a senior majoring in Business Administration with a minor in Russian Studies. She has extensive experience working with a diverse set of advocacy issues in a wide range of positions, including interning for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), working as a Field Organizer for TurnOUT NC (the campaign to Repeal HB2), serving as a campus coordinator for Democracy Awakening in 2016, and more. Prior to this role, J has served in multiple student organization leader roles, such as President (2016-2017) and Treasurer (2014-2015) of the GLBT Community Alliance at NC State and Co-Chair of Students Advocating for Gender Equality (SAGE) at NC State. She is honored to be the first openly transgender person to fill this role and hopes to spend the year advocating on behalf of marginalized communities at NC State! Contact Director of Diversity Outreach J Hallen: SGDiversity@ncsu.edu