GSA Award for Conferences
The GSA Award for Conferences is a highly competitive, merit-based award that is intended to cover the costs of attending a conference (up to $1,500) for NC State graduate students.
Students who wish to apply for this award must submit a complete application using the submission form. The deadline for the Fall and Spring semesters are September 15 and February 15, respectively by 5 pm. A student can only receive the GSA Award for Conferences once per graduate degree.
Although students may apply in advance for funding, the GSA Award for Conferences operates on a reimbursement basis, meaning awardees are reimbursed for costs after travel takes place.
If awarded, a student is reimbursed up to $1,500 to cover conference and travel expenses.
GSA Travel Assistance Award
The GSA Travel Assistance Award was created through collaborations between the GSA and the Graduate School. These are merit-based, $500 travel awards for NC State graduate students attending and presenting their research at conferences. These awards were allocated for the first time in Spring 2018!
Students who wish to apply for this award must submit a complete application using the submission form. The deadline for the Fall and Spring semesters are September 15 and February 15, respectively by 5 pm. A student can only receive the GSA Travel Assistance Award once per graduate degree.
Although students may apply in advance for funding, the GSA Travel Assistance Award operates on a reimbursement basis, meaning awardees are reimbursed for costs after travel takes place.
If awarded, a student is reimbursed up to $500 to cover conference and travel expenses.
The committee may also decide to award other awards/funding while judging GSA Award for Conferences and GSA Travel Assistance Awards applications. These awards include Arthur B. Moss International Grant and Bob & Seuster Sowell Scholarship based on their availability every semester.
The GSA Award for Conferences and the GSA Travel Assistance Award are open to currently enrolled, fee-paying graduate students in good academic standing (GPA > 3.00). Please note that if you are taking advantage of the faculty waiver program (outlined here) you are not eligible for these awards.
Each NC State Graduate Student:
- Can only receive each award once per graduate degree
- Can apply to both awards during the same application cycle, but will only receive one, as determined by the selection committee
- Must complete both applications to be considered for both awards. Indicating that you are applying to ‘both’ on one application will not be sufficient.
- Can receive one award per academic year (Ex. If you receive either award in the Fall 2017, you cannot receive an award in the Spring 2018 OR if you receive either award in the Spring 2017, you cannot receive an award in the Fall 2017)
All parts of this application must be received. Applications missing any of these will not be evaluated:
- Completed application form
- Personal statement of correct length:
- 4500 characters for the GSA Award for Conferences
- 2250 characters for the GSA Travel Assistance Award
- Copy of abstract submitted to conference and confirmation of abstract acceptance (if received)
- Copy of NC State unofficial transcript (accessible via MyPackPortal)
- Curriculum Vitae (include list of publications, if applicable)
- Letters of recommendation: (Please Note: If you apply for both awards in same application cycle and have same recommender, reference letter must be submitted only once for both applications)
- Two for the GSA Award for Conferences
- One for the GSA Travel Assistance Award
- Authorization from applicant’s Director of Graduate Programs (DGP) (Please Note: If you apply for both awards in same application cycle, DGP authorization must be submitted only once for both applications)
Recommendation letters must be submitted here by the deadline.
DGP Authorization must be submitted here by the deadline.
Note: The GSA reserves the right to limit the number of applications to no more than 5% of the total number of graduate students in the same program based on volume of applications received. In this instance, the DGP will assist in narrowing down the pool of applicants from their respective program based on the highest quality of research. This restriction would be implemented after all applications have been submitted and evaluated.
Spring Travel Awards:
Deadline: February 15, 2019
Travel Dates: February 15, 2019 – September 14, 2019
Notification Date: April 15, 2019
Fall Travel Awards:
Deadline: September 15, 2019
Travel Dates: September 15, 2019 – February 14, 2020
Notification date: November 15, 2019
Please note that from Spring 2019 award cycle, the travel dates to be eligible for the awards are changed. The travel should be within a six-month period from the application deadline.
GSA Award Workshop
GSA is very happy to announce that we will have a workshop to help applicants submit their applications. This workshop is given by the committee who will be judging Spring 2019 applications. The first half hour will be a presentation explaining the different aspects of applications and next half hour, the floor would be open for a panel discussion with the judges. The workshop will be held in second last week of January and all graduate students will be notified once the exact date and time are decided. If you believe you need help with your application, please consider attending the workshop. If you can’t make it to the workshop, we will upload the video of the whole workshop on the GSA website for everyone’s reference. We will have this workshop yearly so if you plan to apply in Fall, please attend this workshop or refer to the video link.
Venue: 3285 Talley Student Union
Time: 7 – 8 PM
The live video from Facebook.
If you like to fill out a survey/feedback form, please click here. We would like to hear from you and improve this process further.