Opening a Bank Account

Reference this Knowledge Guide when selecting a bank and opening an account.

Student organizations are required to have bank accounts in order to deposit Appropriations checks. These bank accounts must be an organizational account and not a personal account. In this guide, we outline the general requirements that most banks have for opening an account and how to choose a bank.

What documents are needed to open a bank account?

Many banks require the same documentation and identification for student organizations to open bank accounts. Please note that most banks require the same basic documentation and identification, but this could vary between banks. We recommend contacting your potential bank directly to determine what you need to open an account.

Bank Verification LetterStudent organizations will need to provide proof that they are a registered student organization at NC State, this is done through a Bank Verification Letter. Student organization leaders can request a Bank Verification Letter through GetInvolved.
Tax ID for Organization You will be required to provide a valid tax ID. We recommend that organizations apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. It is not recommended that students use a social security number.
Two (2) Forms of Photo Identification for Each Signer Account signers will need two (2) forms of photo ID at most banks. Examples include a valid US driver’s license, US or foreign passport, US Military ID, Canadian driver license, US Alien immigration passport, or Matrícula consular card. PNC Bank accepts your NC State Wolfpack OneCard with a clear photo as a valid form of photo ID.
Individual Signer InformationStudents who want to be on the account will have to provide their present address, date of birth, phone number, email address, and social security number. Additionally, all signers will need to be present.

If your student organization has 501(c)3 non-profit status, you will need to provide a documentation letter from the NC Secretary of State.

Please note: Student organizations do not automatically gain 501(c)3 non-profit status; organizations will have to apply and pay a fee to gain 501(c)3 non-profit status.

Choosing a Bank

While Student Government does not recommend a specific bank for student organizations, many organizations choose to use PNC Bank for their banking needs.  PNC Bank operates a branch on campus in Talley Student Union and has multiple ATMs located across campus. Additionally, PNC Bank employees are familiar with setting up accounts for student organizations.  Student organizations are free to choose any bank they wish. Below, we outline many common banks that student organizations use and their benefits.


Please contact Student Body Treasurer Harrison Andrews at for any questions or concerns.

Please note: Student Government legally cannot provide assistance with applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN).