Skip to main content

Opening a bank account for your organization

Student organizations are required to have bank accounts in order to deposit Appropriations checks. These bank accounts must be an organizational account and not a personal account. In this guide, we outline the general requirements that most banks have for opening an account and how to choose a bank.

What is needed to open a bank account?

Many banks require the same documentation and identification for student organizations to open bank accounts. Please note that most banks require the same basic documentation and identification, but this could vary between banks. We recommend contacting your potential bank directly to determine what you need to open an account.

Bank Verification LetterStudent organizations will need to provide proof that they are a registered student organization at NC State, this is done through a Bank Verification Letter. Student organization leaders can request a Bank Verification Letter through Get Involved.
Employer Identification Number (EIN)An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Learn more and apply online for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Two (2) Forms of Photo Identification for Each Signer Account signers will need two (2) forms of photo ID at most banks. Examples include a valid US driver’s license, US or foreign passport, US Military ID, Canadian driver license, US Alien immigration passport, or Matrícula consular card.
Individual Signer InformationStudents who want to be on the account will have to provide their present address, date of birth, phone number, email address, and social security number. Additionally, all signers will need to be present.

If your student organization has 501(c)3 non-profit status, you will need to provide a documentation letter from the NC Secretary of State when opening a bank account. Organizations do not automatically gain 501(c)3 non-profit status when registering as a student organization at NC State; organizations will have to apply and pay a fee to the NC Secretary of State to gain 501(c)3 non-profit status. Contact Student Legal Services for more information and help with 501(c)3 non-profit status.

Choosing a Bank

While Student Government does not recommend a specific bank for student organizations, many organizations choose to use PNC Bank for their banking needs.  PNC Bank operates a branch on campus in Talley Student Union and has multiple ATMs located across campus. Additionally, PNC Bank employees are familiar with setting up accounts for student organizations.  Student organizations are free to choose any bank they wish. Below, we list many common banks student organizations use and their contact information.

PNC Bank

PNC Bank offers free accounts for registered student organizations at NC State. There is no minimum balance needed, and no minimum amount to open an account (accounts cannot have a negative balance though). Additionally, there are no account fees if the Bank Verification Letter from Student Leadership and Engagement is provided. PNC Bank makes the transition between organization leaders very smooth – organizations must provide a new Bank Verification Letter or meeting minutes detailing new election/appointment of new leaders.

PNC Bank also offers debit cards and online banking at no extra charge to account holders. Additionally, single checks can be printed at the Talley Student Union branch for $1.50/each. Full check books can be ordered for organizations. Checks can be deposited at any PNC Bank branch, PNC Bank ATMs, or via the PNC Bank app.

Student organization leaders can make appointments at the Talley Student Union branch to open a bank account for this organization.  The entire process typically takes about an hour. Contact Rhea Gonsalves to set up an appointment. PNC Bank will accept your Wolfpack One Card as a valid photo identification to open an account.

Contact Information

Contact Iuliia Maltese, PNC Bank Talley Student Union Branch Manager,

PNC Bank, Talley Student Union Branch

Wells Fargo

Contact Information

Wells Fargo Hillsborough St Branch, (919) 664-8801

Wells Fargo, Hillsborough St Branch

Bank of America

Contact Information

Bank of America Oberlin Rd Branch, (919) 829-6654

Bank of America, Oberlin Rd Branch

Truist (formerly BB&T)

Contact Information

Truist Oberlin Rd Branch, (919) 716-9520

Truist (formerly BB&T), Oberlin Rd Branch

First Citizens

Contact Information

First Citizens Clark Ave Branch, (919) 716-7121

First Citizens, Clark Ave Branch

State Employees’ Credit Union

Contact Information

State Employees’ Credit Union Hillsborough St Branch, (919) 839-5381

State Employees’ Credit Union, Hillsborough St Branch


We recommend that student organizations contact Student Legal Services with any questions regarding taxes or Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) at For other questions, email