Getting Started with Appropriations
Follow the steps your student organization should take to successfully submit an Appropriations Application and receive Appropriations funding from Student Government.
What should I do before January 4th?
Even though the Online Appropriations Application opens on January 4th, student organizations can start preparing their application and budget now. The Spring 2023 Appropriations Packet and Budget Tool are now available to student organizations. These two resources are vital to student organizations as they navigate the Appropriations process and submit their application. See our recommendations below for what you should do before January 4th.
- Read the Appropriations Packet thoroughly as it will be your best guide through the Appropriations process. The Packet has a refreshed look and contains important information about your Appropriations Application, funding requests, and budgets.
- Create your organization’s budget using the Spring 2023 Appropriations Budget Tool. A step-by-step guide to using the Budget Tool is available online and student organizations can begin creating their budget now.
- Make sure you have submitted any receipts and returned any unspent funds from past Appropriations Cycles. Check the Ineligibility List to see if your organization owes any receipts or unspent funds back to Student Government. If your organization received funding from the Fall Break 2022 – Spring Break 2023 Cycle, these receipts are not due yet and do not need to be submitted in order to apply for the SB23-FB23 Appropriations Cycle.
- Make sure your student organization has a bank account and is a supplier at NC State to be eligible to receive Appropriations funding. Student organizations should open a bank account and begin the supplier registration process as soon as possible.
- Ensure your student organization is officially registered through Student Leadership and Engagement.
What should I do after January 4th?
On January 4th, the Online Appropriations Application opens and student organizations can begin applying for Appropriations funding. To ensure that your student organization has a successful Appropriations Cycle, make sure you…
- Have at least one representative from your organization attend an Appropriations Information Session if applicable. The Appropriations Information Session is a 30 minute long presentation that will cover all of the important information you will need to successfully submit an Appropriations Application. If your student organization has applied for Appropriations funding within the last two years, your organization does not need to attend an Appropriations Information Session. If your organization is requesting Start-Up Funding or are applying for Appropriations for the first time within the last two years, you must have a student representative from your organization attend one of the Appropriations Information Sessions. Learn more here.
- Complete your student organization’s Appropriations budget. Verify the accuracy of your budget and make sure that it is in complete compliance with Appropriations policies.
- Submit your Appropriations Application online before the deadline (January 25th at 11:59 PM ET). Your Appropriations Application is very important and will be reviewed by the Appropriations Council prior to your interview.
- Schedule your required Appropriations Interview after you submit your application. After you submit your Appropriations Application, the confirmation page will have a link to sign up for an interview time slot. Interviews are required in order to receive funding, this means waiting until the last minute to submit the application will limit the availability of interview time slots.
What if I have questions or need help?
We understand that the Appropriations process can be complicated and confusing, so we try our best to make the process as easy as possible and we provide many opportunities to get help. First, we recommend that you attend an Appropriations Information Session, but if you still have questions or need help, visit the Appropriations Help Portal at go.ncsu.edu/appropriations-help. The Appropriations Help Portal features a collection of resources that will help your organization through the Appropriations process.
We encourage student organizations to take advantage of the Appropriations Group Help Sessions and Individual Help Sessions to ask questions, get help with your application or budget, or sit down with an Appropriations Council member to review your application to see if everything looks good.
We also provide Appropriations Guides on our website to help student organizations complete essential tasks for your Appropriations Application. These online guides cover a range of topics like opening a bank account, completing the supplier registration process, and using the Appropriations Budget Tool, among others.
Student organizations are integral to the campus community and Student Government is excited to foster the success of student organizations through Appropriations funding. Make sure you reference and complete the Appropriations Checklist to ensure that your organization has a successful Spring Break 2023 – Fall Break 2023 Appropriations Cycle. Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns regarding Appropriations.